Your roof protects your home from the elements day in and day out. Wind, heat, water, the cold and debris all affect your roof’s performance and longevity. In this post, we will focus on the effect of heat on your roof.
There are observable signs that your roof is suffering from heat damage and may be due for a roof replacement. Take note of the following:
- Cracked shingles: Asphalt shingles are flexible when they are new. Over time, if your roof is exposed to too much heat, they might begin to crack. Cracked shingles have lost their flexibility and will soon be susceptible to leaks.
- Shrinking and blistering: Heat can dry out your shingles and make them shrink and form blisters. When this happens, nails can pop out, which means no protection from wind uplift. Blisters can pop, and your shingles will lose their protective granules and eventually leak.
- Broken flashing: Damage to flashing is more common among plastic flashing. Heat can make plastic flashing crack and pull away so your roof loses protection from water penetration in areas where the flashing is located.
Preventing Heat Damage
There are some ways to prevent heat damage to your roof.
- Proper installation: The first step is to make sure your roof is properly installed. So, if you’re building a new home, remodeling or replacing an old roof, work with a professional roofing contractor to ensure proper installation of your roofing shingles.
- Light-colored shingles: Light-colored shingles reflect more heat compared to dark shingles. If you’re replacing your roof, consider talking to your contractor about installing light-colored shingles.
- Adequate ventilation: One of the leading culprits behind heat-damaged roofs is the lack of attic ventilation. Your attic overheats, and the shingles are attacked by heat from above and from below. When shingles are baked by the heat, they age much more quickly.
- Maintenance: Inspections and maintenance can help you spot potential problems even before they fully develop. Work with a professional to inspect and maintain your roof according to a regular schedule.
Bay Valley Contractors can help you with your roofing problems. We can also install solar roofing. Call us today at (925) 705-7889, or fill out the form on our contact page.