These days, many homeowners are investing in solar panels for their homes. Solar panels, also known as “PV panels”, convert light from the sun into electricity that can be used to power electrical loads. They are very useful and versatile, and they can be used for remote sensing, telecommunications equipment, and much more. Remote homes and cabins also benefit a lot from solar power systems as these places may not be serviced by the main electric utility grid.
Installing a solar roof can have amazing benefits to your home’s efficiency.
Here’s our take on it.
However, many residential homes are now interested in installing solar panels because of their overall convenience and environmental advantages. Here’s why you should invest in solar panels and how you can get the most out of them.
Why Should You Install Solar Panels in Your Home?
If you’re unsure whether you need to install solar panels in your home, here are some information that may help you decide:
- Utility bills are increasing. If you live in a sunny area, you may want to use this usable energy from an unlimited resource to cut your traditional utility bills. Solar panels distribute energy to help you heat or cool your home, business property and outdoor areas. In some regions, homeowners who invest in their own solar energy system can also receive tax exemptions and credits.
- There’s no need to rely on the public utility grid. Another perk that awaits you once you use solar panels is that you decrease or even eliminate the need for a public utility grid. This means that you don’t have to rely on utility companies and their environmentally unfriendly energy-generation methods.
- Invest in the future. If you’re planning a roof replacement in the future, you should take this opportunity to invest in solar energy technologies like solar panels as well. By doing so, you make a wiser decision than investing in the fossil fuel industry. Remember that fossil fuel mining and drilling extraction processes can harm the environment.
- Reduce your carbon footprint. The byproducts of burning natural gas, oil and coal cause severe damage to the environment and human health. While the extraction of materials used in the manufacturing of solar technologies and the process of manufacturing the equipment may also have problems, solar power equipment does not produce harmful byproducts once it is installed. In addition, materials used in solar technologies are 100% recyclable.
How Do You Get the Most Out of Your Solar Panels?
Now that you have invested in solar roofing panels, you need to make sure that it’s working as hard as it can. It should meet your energy needs and help you recover your costs. For this reason, take the time to read these tips on how to get the most out of your solar panels.
Take Advantage of Sunlight
The sun may only be up for a few hours, so if you have solar panels, be sure to take advantage of them! Time your charging activities and high-energy usage behaviors so you can do them during the daytime. While the sun is still shining, you should charge your phones and computers, and get all of your washing and drying done during the daylight hours to use free electricity effectively.
Use Energy Storage Devices
A battery bank system allows you to store power for later if you’re not using it immediately. This is a smart way to offset the weather and ensure you have usable power available at all times. If you are at work during the day, you are able to use the generated solar power. Additionally, in the event of a blackout, rest assured that your batteries will still provide you with the power you need.
Consider Smart Home Technology
Thanks to advanced technology, there are many apps out there that can help you track how your solar roofing panels are performing. Thus, they enable you to change your routine to get greater efficiencies. With one tap on your smartphone, you can control your lights and appliances. When you are away from your home, you can automatically adjust the temperature in your smart thermostat to help you save energy.
Keep Them Clean at All Times
Don’t forget to have your solar panels cleaned every 6 to 12 months. This enables you to get as much light as possible. Keep in mind that dust on your panels will filter and reflect light, which will reduce their overall efficiency. Dirt, mold and bird droppings can coat your panels and affect how well they work. Therefore, make sure to have a professional clean your panels to get the most out of them.
Change Your Lightbulbs Regularly
If you’re buying new fixtures for a home remodeling project, make sure to upgrade your solar power lightbulbs as well. Solar power is a great renewable-based source, but it may not work well if you feed it all into redundant technologies. Old lightbulbs lose 90% of the power provided to them as heat, which may defeat their purpose. To increase the efficiency of your solar panels, you may want to consider light-emitting diode (LED) options that use almost 100% of the power to create light.
Be Mindful Where Your Power Goes
As a homeowner, it’s important that you know where your power goes. By changing a few simple things in your daily routine, you can save a big amount of energy around your house and prevent overusing your solar panels. The less power you use, the more you will save. Here are a few things you should do:
- Turn off lights during the day, and use natural light (if you are unable to access natural light, only light up the rooms you’re actually using)
- Turn off appliances at the wall instead of using standby power
- Disconnect any extra refrigerators or freezers when they’re not in use
- Switch to fans instead of air conditioners
- Make sure your house is properly insulated
Are you looking for a professional company to help you with your home improvement project? Put your trust in Bay Valley Contractors. Our expert contractors and remodelers are more than glad to assist you with your inquiries. We also offer many services, including roof replacement and more. Call us today at (925) 705-7889, or fill out our contact form to set an appointment.