California homeowners may be no strangers to the occasional storm, but the process of roof restoration can be daunting. If your roofing system has sustained a considerable amount of storm damage, you’ll need to take the proper steps to repair and restore roof damages.
First, document the extent of storm damage to your roof by taking photos or videos.
Be careful as you go about this task – watch where you step, and avoid climbing up your roof for a closer inspection. Next, call a trusted roof repair and replacement company to conduct a professional storm damage assessment, which helps determine whether the loss warrants filing an insurance claim.
The last step is to call your insurance provider to file a roof storm damage claim. But this doesn’t actually end here. The insurance claims process is not as simple as filling out a couple of forms and waiting for the check to arrive in the mail – as some homeowners no doubt expect. You’ll need to deal with the insurance claims adjuster assigned to your case so you can negotiate your claim and get the settlement you deserve.
This can be a bit daunting, especially if it’s your first time. But don’t stress too much. Here’s how you can communicate with your insurance adjuster more effectively:
- Confirm their identity. Do this when meeting your insurance adjuster for the first time (and before you let them inside your home). Avoid leaving the adjusters by themselves 0 accompany them as they go through your home. Make sure to point out some of the storm damage they seem to have missed.
- Document all communication with your adjusters. For instance, write down the time and date of every phone conversation you have that’s related to your roof storm damage claim. Make sure you get the name of the person you spoke to as well. Another thing – jot down a summary of the things you’ve talked about. Is the conversation done via text or instant messaging? Avoid deleting the thread, and take screenshots if you need to so you have a paper trail. Save any emails you’ve received from and sent to the insurance adjuster. All of these will be handy in case there’s a dispute with your claim, and you need to prove your side of things.
- Avoid settling too quickly. You don’t actually have to accept the first offer your insurance provider makes. When you reject that first offer, the person may line up a higher, more reasonable one.
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions. If the payout in your claim seems a bit low, for example, ask questions for further explanation about the low amount. Ask the adjusters for an itemized list of the damages, along with the facts behind their numbers. You’ll want to get a reasonable settlement, especially when it seems like a roof replacement might be required.
- Be organized and proactive. It pays to have all the necessary paperwork on hand so you can have them promptly sent to the insurance adjusters. Are they asking for an inventory of items? Don’t delay getting this information to them. You should also have a copy of everything you sent to the adjuster so you have proof of the data you’ve supplied.
- Always remain polite, calm and professional. It’s easy to lose your cool when it seems like your insurance company is making you jump through hoops. But every time the company asks you to fill out a form more than once or passing you from one person to the next, rein your emotions in to ensure a successful conclusion. Don’t lose your temper or be rude. By remaining composed, polite and persistent, you’ll strengthen your case.
- Bring in a third-party. When it seems like you’re not getting anywhere with your adjuster, you can bring in someone experienced with insurance claims assistance who will be more objective and can serve as a mediator between you and the insurance company.
Why You Should Work With Bay Valley Contractors
Aside from roof storm damage assessment, Bay Valley Contractors can also handle your roof replacement or restoration. We have always been committed to providing the highest quality roofing solutions. You can always expect the results to be more than satisfactory when you work with us. Here are more of the reasons to choose us for the job:
- Credentialed: We are fully licensed and bonded with the necessary insurance, including workers’ compensation and liability coverage for your greater peace of mind. In the off-chance something goes awry during the course of the project, you’re sure that you’re protected.
- Established: Bay Valley Contractors is A+ Rated and an Accredited Business with the Better Business Bureau (BBB). We also maintain good scores and reviews at Citysearch®, Google My Business and Yelp – a testament of our quality workmanship and personalized service.
- Certified: Bay Valley Contractors remains one of the leading roofing companies in the area because we go above and beyond in meeting the roofing and remodeling needs of the communities we serve. We have earned the GAF Master Elite® roofing contractor certification from North America’s largest roofing manufacturer. This way, you can benefit from the latest industry trends and techniques.
With this distinction, we can offer access to some of the highest quality asphalt shingle roofing systems available today. They can withstand the harshest weather conditions, thanks to the Advanced Protection® Technology, and allow for many design possibilities with their myriad of colors, textures and finishes. Some can even mimic the rich look and feel of authentic slate and wood shakes. And, if you’re looking for an alternative to asphalt shingles, Bay Valley Contractors also offers Boral® tile and metal roofing.
- Experienced: For 31 years, Bay Valley Contractors has served California homeowners in Contra Costa, Alameda and Solano Counties. We can work with any roofing option, from asphalt shingles and metal to solar roofing. Our skilled and trained team ensures timely and efficient workmanship that leaves no room for costly mistakes or callbacks.
When in need of a tough roof system that can weather any storm and provide long-lasting performance, just turn to Bay Valley Contractors. Call us today at (925) 705-7889, or fill out this contact form to schedule your consultation.